Monday, April 10, 2006

Nothing Personal Here

Paolo Manalo reacts to Yuson's 2nd column.


Original entry here.

I've been a busy fellow at the 45th UP National Writers Workshop but thanks to e-mails and text messages, it was hard not to miss "A Language for Nationalism?", Alfred Yuson's reply to the various responses to his recent rant.

In this recent column Yuson wrote: "I would've been very surprised if Paolo Manalo hadn't
joined the Internet critics. This fellow has long had it in for me, for reasons we both know
but which would be irrelevant to mention here. I just wish that as literary editor of Philippines Free Press, Manalo makes a better effort at ensuring that contributors receive their fees, for it is a more fundamental responsibility than writing precipitate poetics."

For those who keep asking, sorry but I do not "have it in" for Alfred Yuson. If we go back
to my response, I was soberly objecting to: 1) Ian Casocot's reaction; 2) the binary oppositions in Philippine literature that Yuson's column was suggesting; and 3) the ad hominem statements and name dropping that Yuson practices in his column.

And that's that.

(via Plaridel Papers)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home